Skill Tests are like Attribute Checks, with some important differences. When making a Skill Test, as with an Attribute Check, a lower roll is always better. A Skill Test is resolved as a modified Check of the Skill’s Linked Attribute, which is adjusted as indicated below.
- If the Skill is UNTRAINED (i.e. the character does not have the Skill), use the Attribute at a -2 Penalty.
- If the Skill is TRAINED, use the unmodified Attribute.
- If the character has the Skill at the Apprentice Level, add a +1 Skill Bonus to the Attribute.
- If the character has the Skill at the Expert Level, add a +2 Skill Bonus to the Attribute.
- If the character has the Skill at the Master Level, add a +4 Skill Bonus to the Attribute.
Similar to Attribute Checks, in general, whether or not a failed Skill Test can be retried is up to the GM and should be determined based on the situation. Likewise, the time a Skill Test takes is up to the GM.